Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Getting rid of the old

Fabric and clothes have been on my mind lately, mostly due to Gazelle Skirt, a fashion blog that some friends up north started. They put out a Outfit of the Day challenge for a week and I thought "why not?" But then I started looking at my clothes and realized that I haven't had a new outfit made in two years!

Having clothes made by a tailor is a normal part of life for me and thousands of other women who live in Africa. For me it's a bit stressful because I'm not the most decisive person in the world. It's hard for me to pick a style sometimes out of the 15 magazines I have to choose from or out of the 15 million (that may be a slight exaggeration) people walking around. Most of the time it's pretty easy for me to find the fabric I want. Actually B would say that most of the time it's hard for me to find fabric I don't want :) He's probably right!

So I bit the proverbial bullet and cleaned out my drawers, throwing giving away two bags full of clothes. American t-shirts mostly and some skirts that I just don't wear or that are kinda worn out. Then I took some fabric to a new tailor and some fabric to my usual tailor to see which one I liked better. My usual tailor is great. He's inexpensive, does a great job on construction, but he's not creative in any way shape or form! So unless I pick out or take him a very specific outfit, he's stuck. But this new tailor I went to had tons of magazines, was invested in helping me find a vision for my outfit and was much more expensive. All in all they both did a great job and I have some new outfits!

Headed to a wedding
 in my new rainbow outfit :)

Off to the village

I also picked up an outfit from a tailor I tried back in October that has been gone since then. Needless to say, I won't be using him again!



Although it took forever, he did
a good job on this
 pink and blue metallic wax print. 

Sometimes it's so refreshing to get rid of the old!!





3 comments:

  1. When we go back to Mali, we are moving from the medium-sized town where we've lived for over 20 years to the Capital. Altho I am looking forward to the move, I am NOT looking forward to having to find a new tailor (or a new maid, but that's another topic)! Most recently, I had a guy living right behind me who was up on the latest designs. I got to where I could take him fabric and just leave it to him to come up with a design. Sometimes I took along some braid or trim, but again, I let him decide how to use it. This worked really well because he was creative. (He was Senegalese, in fact!)
    Jennifer Bowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog and the clothes. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Sometimes I wish I 'had' to wear Senegalese clothes more often. Hard to be motivated to spend the time/money to have them made, but so pretty!

    ReplyDelete