Thursday, May 2, 2013

I don't mean to brag

I don't mean to brag, but I have a wonderful husband!

We've been married for 6 years and like most couples we struggle sometimes in the area of communication. I think he should know what I need or want him to do. For whatever reason I think he's psychic. We've talked about these things, yelled about these things, cried about these things, but we always walk away more committed and in love than before.

You see I'm not one who easily shares my deep feelings. As I've stated before, I'm an introvert who keeps things inside. And I've always had the misconception that if you know me, really know me, then you should know what I like, what I don't like, what I need from you and what I will give to you. But that's just plain wrong. I think I've finally realized that. This has been an absurd year for me. Lots and lots and lots of hurt feelings, unrealistic expectations of me and of others, and lots and lots of crying. And through it all B has stood by me and uplifted me in a way I didn't even realize I needed. Sometimes this insight that he has makes it harder to realize that he doesn't know my every need or want. But through it all I realize that I so often take him for granted and I'm often harder on him than I should be.

For example: We're night owls fueled by a culture around us that also stays up late. Most nights we don't get to bed before midnight because we are outside talking to friends and neighbors. Unfortunately our house helper comes between 8-9 am three days a week which means that our house needs to be picked up so that she can work. Every day this week, B has woken up early and picked up the house all the while letting me sleep. He hasn't said a word! He hasn't complained that I'm not helping or that I get a few extra minutes of sleep than he does. He just does it. How often though have I grumbled when he doesn't help me? A lot.

Isn't he so handsome?!


So I'm going to be a better wife. I started a study this morning about what a godly wife looks like and I'm excited to see where it takes me. I did one of these before we got married, but life just gets in the way sometimes you know? I get distracted, busy and forget sometimes the person I'm striving to be. I love B so much more today than I did yesterday or the day before. He's the one I didn't know I needed and I thank God everyday for that. And I just want to be that for him every day too.


2 comments: