Friday, September 6, 2013

In public

When we first moved into our neighborhood there was a young lady, "Julie" who always seemed to be in the middle of everyone else. She was the leader, the boss, the bully. Anytime the kids got to out of control, she was the one who put them in their place. And she was constantly seeking my attention, trying to talk to me, teaching me and hanging with me.

Over the last three years she's grown up into that phase where it's uncool to talk to adults, even toubaakoos (white people). So when she sees me she ignores me or teases me. It makes me laugh because I know that more than anything she wants to hang out again. When no one else is around (which is rare!) she comes over to talk, to paint nails and braid my hair. But in public we are strangers now.

So imagine my surprise when she stopped as she walked past me, ignoring me, and said "Hey Binta. My sister had a baby. Come see." In front of her friends and in public! 

We went, greeted the family and got to hold this precious new life (who looks kind of like a mouse :) ) and spend some time in public with Julie and her family. Yesterday was the baby naming ceremony and when we went over Julie came and sat down next to me and told me all about how she's now playing basketball. But when her friends walked in she immediately went back to ignoring me :)

Teenagers (shaking my head)! I think they're the same everywhere !

No comments:

Post a Comment